It started in 1987: My online archive hits 50,000!

Posted on August 18, 2011

Brad Mangin started shooting for his archive back in 1987 at Candlestick Park in San Francisco. This picture was shot by Mangin’s junior college photojournalism teacher Gerry Mooney during Giants batting practice prior to a game in 1987 as Mangin was on assignment for the Contra Costa Times. (Photo by Gerry Mooney)

A few days ago I hit a magic number. I had been looking at 50,000 for a long time. After uploading 170 images from the August 7, 2011 game between the Phillies and Giants I surpassed the 50,000 mark for searchable, captioned images in my online archive powered by PhotoShelter. My friend Grover Sanschagrin has been giving me a hard time over the years telling me he would only be impressed with my archive when I hit 50,000. Well Grover, I did it!

I started shooting professionally in 1987, and that is when my archive starts. Need Dave Dravecky as a Padre or a Giant? I got him! Mike Aldrete? Done. How about Pete Rose managing the Reds? Got that too. I have everything in my archive from Greg Minton posing for a portrait in 1987 to Hideki Matsui connecting with a pitch yesterday in Oakland. Do you get the feeling that I am proud of my archive? You got that right. I work hard on keeping my archive up to date every day. I am constantly adding current images, as well as old ones when I have old chromes scanned from the 80’s and 90’s. As I look back on all my pictures over the years I am so glad I had some great friends give me terrific business advice over the years, and I am glad I have been able to keep my copyright for so many terrific images.

This could be image number 50,000 in my archive! Pablo Sandoval of the San Francisco Giants gets ready in the dugout before the game against the Philadelphia Phillies at AT&T Park on August 7, 2011 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Brad Mangin)

It is our job as photographers to keep our copyright (unless we have a sweet staff job with benefits, etc.) and do a good job of marketing our images. You would be surprised how many image buyers LOVE dealing directly with individual photographers like me. Having my easy-to-use archive makes my editors happy, thus it makes me happy. And that is a good thing. Thanks for getting me off my ass Grover!

What Others Are Saying

1. Jordan Mruph August 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Congratulations!

I’ve always appreciated the advice you’ve given a nobody youngster wanna-be photographer like me over the years. A milestone like this just reinforces that advice and I plan on using it to build myself a solid business and reputation for the future.

Thank you, Brad.

Aloha,
    Jordan

2. Jim Vestal August 18, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Wow Brad, that is a goal well set! In 1996 I was asked to edit Charles O’Rear’s 25,000-35,000 National Geographic exposures as contractor overages. But we didn’t actually count the mostly Kodachromes. I’ve wondered how many negatives/positives I’ve edited since my first roll of film developed about 1949 as a teenager. Could it be a million plus? I’ll never know as I use to edit 20-30 rolls a day at Newsday from 50 or so photographers over 5 years, plus 21 years at The Sacramento Union from seven photographers. What a file you have! Going digital must be like getting a vacation in that process.

3. Scott Henry August 18, 2011 at 9:02 pm

From one who remembers the days when you were a fresh-faced SJ State grad talking baseball and toting long lenses: You were pretty damn good back then, and have gotten better with age and experience.

Thanks for all the great images, Brad.

Scott

4. Tim Mantoani August 19, 2011 at 12:05 am

Let’s make Grover throw a party at 100,000! Congrats Brad, you are one of the hardest working guys out there.

Love that shot of you.

Tim

5. Brad Mangin August 19, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Jordan- you are well on your way.

Scott- I still remember you showing off your slick database filing system for negs over 20 years ago in San Jose! I am glad technology advanced so I can have my much easier to use archive 🙂

Jim- digital has many benefits- but I sure miss using my light table!

Tim- I am simply looking forward to celebrating your book this October!

6. D. Ross Cameron September 1, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Congratulations, Brad. It’s not just a matter of shooting 50,000 images, or even 50,000 great ones — there’s also the endless hours of captioning, tagging, and archiving said images.

A tip of the cap to you, sir. Now: 100,000 awaits! Get shooting!

Best,
    DRC

7. Gerry Mooney October 30, 2011 at 4:02 am

Hey Brad, I remember when I took that photo, (in the good old B/W days). Will Clark was taking some bp and trying to hit Tony Gwynn down the right field line as he came out of the visitors locker room. I always new you’d be successful. You’ve set the standard for baseball shooters. Keep up the great work. Is that a Nikon lens?!!…cheers…….Gerry

8. Brad Mangin October 31, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Gerry! I am so glad you saw this. Thanks for the kind words. You started me shooting baseball at Ohlone!

Yes- that was the Contra Costa Times pool 600mm lens. I used that to shoot baseball back then as an intern- one of the staffers would loan me their Nikon F3.